Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Butternut Squash Soup

For some reason unlike my husband, I have never come to love anything that tastes like pumpkin. Last weekend when I asked him to do the grocery I should have imagined spring is around the corner. He came home with this butternut squash that I wish tasted as beautiful as it looked. Knowing my aversion toward pumpkins he announced, "Don't worry, you don't have to cook this, I will". Although he is a well-intentioned fellow, unfortunately, it didn't happen.

Thinking what could I do to make it taste 'not' like pumpkin, I came up with this recipe, which turn out to be pretty yummy!! To go with it, I made Irish Soda bread. I followed Ina's recipe http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/irish-soda-bread-recipe.html , only with my own proportions. you can find the bread recipe here.
butternut-squash-soup-recipe

Ingredients:
one medium butternut squash, cubed
oil
onion chopped 1/4th cup
ginger grated 1 tsp
butternut-squash soupSalt
pepper
thyme (fresh or dried)
cumin powder 1 tsp

Recipe:
  • Heat olive oil in a dutch oven or a soup pot
  • Add chopped onion to this, cook until translucent
  • Add ginger, fry until ginger is cooked
  • Add butternut squash, fry until light brown
  • Add a little water, cover and let it cook. Check from time to time so squash doesn't get stuck to the bottom
  • After squash is cooked well take it out and mash completely in a food processor
  • Mix some water and strain. Don't take a fine strainer, then you will lose most of the vegetables
  • Transfer back to the cooking pot
  • Add salt, pepper and Thyme
  • Add butter to your taste
butternut squash soup





No comments :

Post a Comment