Thursday, May 12, 2016

Semolina and Coconut Pakora (suji-narkol bora)

In our childhood, I remember a lot of people used to snack after work, as in Kolkata most people are or at least were used to eating dinner very late like 9 or 10 at night. A lot of which included street food like shingara (samosas) or chop (fritters, patties). Because we eat dinner pretty early we don't get a lot of chance to snack except for weekends. This afternoon I had a dejavu of this particular snack that I was longing to have for a few days now. One of my grandmothers used to make it for evening snack. As we will have late dinner tonight because of my son's swimming class, I felt the urge to make this. Although, I seldom used to take a peek in the kitchen as a kid I somehow remember the taste and I believe I guessed the ingredients correct as it tasted exactly like it used to.


Sujir bora


Ingredients:
1 cup Semolina
1/2 cup grated coconut (frozen ones will do just fine)
1 green chili chopped
Milk about 1/4th cup or as needed for the batter
2 tsp corn flour
Salt to taste
sugar to taste
Oil for shallow frying



Recipe:
    Sujir bora
  • Mix semolina, coconut, corn flour, salt, sugar, chilies, with milk to make a thick batter
  • Let the batter sit for half an hour until semolina absorbs some of the milk
  • You can add a little milk if the batter looks too dry at this point, or a little semolina if it looks too runny
  • Heat some oil in a flatter pan for shallow frying
  • Fry the batter giving them a patty like shape
  • Serve with tea

sujir bora

No comments :

Post a Comment